How to Choose the Best Entry Door
A front door or other entry door replacement can add value and curb appeal to your home. It can also add increased energy efficiency, especially if you are replacing an older, drafty, wood door. In the article below, we’ve narrowed the replacement door installation process down to five steps.
1. Exterior Door Types & Features
First you’ll need to choose a door style and think about what features you’d like your door to have. Here are just a few of the styles and features we carry:
- Smooth or textured fiberglass exterior entry doors
- Sidelight and transom above style options
- Custom glass options from ODL Glass
- Sliding glass patio doors
- Hinged glass patio doors
- Storm doors featuring optional retractable screens
2. Energy Efficiency of Exterior Doors
The fiberglass exterior doors we sell and install are ENERGY STAR certified. But what exactly does that mean? Doors that are ENERGY STAR certified have been independently tested and certified to adhere to the federal EPA EnergyStar rating standard. In order to meet this stringent standard, our doors are manufactured to have tighter-fitting door frames and double-pane glass for added insulation. Fiberglass with an insulating foam core, tends to be a better insulator than older solid wood doors, so it is by far our most popular door material.
3. Door Hardware & Security Options
Choosing high quality door hardware and locks will provide you with an aesthetically pleasing door as well as security and peace of mind. We source only the best hardware from Schlage, a company that has been in the door hardware and security business for almost a century. The hardware they sell is backed by an industry leading Lifetime Warranty. Shown below are some of the accent finishes available to choose from.
4. Entry Door Finish Options
The exterior and interior of your replacement entry door can be finished in custom paint colors or unique wood stain finishes. The paint and stain products we use are UV and weather resistant to provide you with years of protection from fading, discoloration, chipping or other blemishes caused by sunlight and weather.
5. Choosing a Door Installation Contractor
What should you look for when shopping around for a contractor to install your new entry door? Here are a few important things to keep in mind:
- How long have they been in business? Our company has been installing exterior doors in Lancaster, Lebanon and Berks county homes and businesses since 1992 with hundreds of satisfied customers. Our craftsmen will install your new door quickly and professionally. We guarantee all of our energy-efficient doors to be installed right the first time, using only the highest quality materials.
- Are they BBB (better business bureau) accredited? Check out our BBB profile.
- Licensing, Bonding and Insurance. We are fully licensed, bonded and insured. Feel free to look up our PA Home Improvement License PA031375 and be sure to ask for our insurance/bonding information when we provide you a free in-home estimate.
- Referrals and Reviews. Be sure to ask the contractor if they can provide a few references. Check Google and Angie’s List for reviews as well.
- Compare Pricing and Features. Now that you know the features to look for in a replacement exterior door, you can get quotes from several window contractors and make a direct comparison to find the best value for your window replacement project.
Call us today for a free estimate and to learn more at: (717) 733-7534